

AEE Staff Meeting
11/19/19
5:30-7:30pm

Attendees via Conference Call:

Misty Wells (MW)
Melissa Sutkowski (MS)
Eric Knapp (EK)
Cesar Lopez (CL)
Marty Klug (MK)
Ray Hubbell (RH)
James Darnell (JD)-Unable to attend
LeRoy Dwire (LD)
Thor Alvarado (TA)-Unable to attend
Pete Castro (PC)-Unable to attend
Leslie Hasse (LH)
Lajuana Kelley (LK)-Unable to attend
Karen Scott (KS)
Paul Singer (PS)
Brian McBeth (BM)-Unable to attend

Welcome/NOA's:

N/A

Labor Management Agenda/Minutes:

EK: LM Region agenda, minutes. A lot of good topics going around. one being TAMS I have had the pleasure attending some of these at different regions and realized we aren't sharing those agendas or minutes with each other. when I was in R4 there wouldn't have been an agenda if we didn't throw ours on. maybe we can start sharing our agendas and minutes so there is more uniformity and good discussions. Thoughts?

CL: I think it would be great if we could set up a format and when you discuss in staff meetings. In region 1 we discussed this, and we discussed the same things in Region 2 because I was a part of both meetings. It would be great to start building agendas to share throughout the state.

EK: I think what we do is when we have a meeting, forward the agenda to misty or we can send it to the board in a group email so we can access the topics and have statewide discussion on some of these items (no objections).

Misty will reach out after LM and ask for minutes then send to the board and put in TLG drop box and share with the board.

Board Member Appreciation:

EK: There has been some confusion on this. Past practice because of the time a board member puts in they are able to ask for an incentive whatever it is, the president approves and then they get that. I think we should be more transparent than that. I don't have issue showing appreciation to the board and the time they put in. A pat on the back is nice but something else is also nice. Cesar and I have been looking at options of

what that might look like. I want input from those here, a board appreciation, you are the director of your region, is there something we can do to enhance the experience or appreciation AEE shows towards your dedication? I don't think it's right that we use the incentives. The way it is on our reports is meeting milestones. If we want to do board appreciation, we should have a separate line item than the incentives. I want to stop any perception that might happen.

CL: The practice isn't clear. My thought has been its somewhat not an incentive to the board person or director but a tool we use to show representation of the union. The backpack is for the laptop. I wear my AEE gear during labor management meetings. I always saw it as a tool. I understand Eric's point of view. It would be nice if we don't lose that piece to use it as a tool.

EK: Cesar is in support of a reward, but I don't think we call it an incentive. I would hate for members to think we take advantage for our benefit. Cesar uses it as a tool to provide our members by having the AEE logo. It shows who we are and identifies us up front. That being said, I'm going to go through the order of everyone and get your take on it.

MS: I have on the agenda for the upcoming governance committee meeting to discuss what a program would look like that we can recommend for the board. I'm all for tools and recognition but have no idea what those might look like. I'd be interested in ideas the board might have to incorporate into a program.

LH: I'm on my mac book pro. I hardly need to have anything else given to me. AEE board treats me nice. I get this phone and computer and books to read. I get assignments. My closet is full I don't need anything else. I could go either way on this. even just a nice certificate of appreciation or a plaque when you leave the board is nice. I get the incentives also when I reach a milestone. I could go either way.

EK: If we stopped the practice of giving members regular incentives and add a line item to our finance plan. I know Misty keeps track of the extras we take out of incentives for board members. I wanted to get the board members who have been doing this, is this appreciation necessary...there is no right or wrong answer. Some like it and some don't really care. do you feel appreciated, do you need a perk or something for a tool to help recognize us as authority.

MK: I don't need anything? This last quarter our expenses went up significantly. We were in the black still, but we were worse than previous quarters. I would say we need to ratchet down the expenses. It was mostly the mac book purchases. The incentive purchase was large. We saved on the TLG invoices opposed to monarch, so it should put us into good. My conservative approach is to hit the brakes.

PS: I think that I don't need any incentive. If I get my 5 or 10 year normally...a jacket with a logo is as important as a business card. It's a good tool I could see, a coat or bag but I don't feel I need an incentive.

RH: For a new person its applicable to have a few things. There are potentially multiple items available. I have a brown jacket myself. I wouldn't say let's break the bank but maybe to have an option at a cost limit per year or two years, whatever your term is, but limit the impact. I think it's a good thing to have to show others you have pride in what you do and who you are. I'm in favor with restraints.

LD: I'm good with Red Robin burger bar every quarterly meeting. I thought that was cool. An occasional when a board member comes on, maybe give them a backpack to

carry the laptop or maybe a jacket. We could offer a few extra things. For me, the handiest tool was the backpack. I use it for bargaining more than anything else. I've been on the board for so long I'm good, I don't need anything. But I will say I appreciate the Red Robin burger bar.

KS: It might be nice to have a t-shirt to wear. I don't have any shirts or buttons to wear. I could probably grab a lanyard. I don't have anything with AEE on it. What Cesar was saying; it shows you are the representative and promotes the union.

EK: One thing we did in the past is yearly we have ordered dress shirts or blouses for the directors to fulfill the role. Maybe we can put that on our list and get AEE shirts for new people.

MW: I will send out the shirt info to collect orders for board shirts. One shirt per board member is paid for by AEE but extras can be ordered and paid for out of pocket.

EK: Great.

CL: If I don't walk around with the jacket or cards people don't know who I am but they talk to me when I have it. I don't need an incentive but as an AEE director it makes a difference. I get a shirt every year and try to wear those as much as I can. It's always been a tool. The backpack is awesome. The jacket is nice because I wear it on walks with folks. It shows pride and we all have pride that's why we are volunteers.

MS: If anyone has any ideas on tools that would be helpful. I'm hearing tools and identifiers are good. If anyone has any other ideas, then just shoot me a text or email them to me.

CL: An AEE tie.

EK: That's a neat idea. I've asked Melissa to be the chair for the governance committee which she has agreed to.

NASHTU:

EK: Is there anyone interested from AEE interested in attending this year on behalf of AEE?

LD: I don't know what I could contribute since its more about ODOT. I'm not interested in going to DC.

PS: I've been to DC and I'd rather not go again.

LH: I'm overbooked.

KS: As a single mom it's hard to make trips like that.

EK: I will throw my name in the hat and go this year.

CL: We will discuss that in January. we send 2 folks but try to send more.

EK: I want 2 AEE so we can team up with the PAC. I'm hoping CL will go for AEE.

CL: I can throw my name in the hat as well.

RH: I have the availability but not an answer back from the wife. I should have an answer by the end of the meeting.

EK: I will put my name on hold and wait to hear back from you.

MS: You may also check with Lajuana, she couldn't go last year but I don't know what her schedule looks like this year.

EK: NASHTU has been on the agenda the last 4 meetings. if we get someone who says they want to go then we will let them go.

Case Tracker:

Send updates to Misty to update. James needs to update on Region 2 case. Two arbitrations only other open cases at this time.

TAMS:

EK: Pete really wanted an update from Thor, but he isn't on the line. Cesar is there anything you can add from your discussions at the R1 and R2 meetings.

CL: We discussed it in both regions. R1 is live and we have a huge number of issues. We couldn't enter EA's Tams wasn't available for weeks. we submitted October timesheet without project charges. It created other issues as well such as to get differentials. It was hard for inspectors. If you wanted to split comp time and over time it wasn't happening. All my OT I wanted comp time and ended up getting a check for it. We brought it up in the meeting and the main concern is that the compensation isn't correct. TAMS is not responsive. Take the training that's there but it's still confusing and TAMS gave us the work around. They said to enter the time but not the charges, but it was bad direction on what to do later. We talked to labor management and HR. We asked for an email for R1 on what to do. The deadline was Friday and they just sent the email. R2 I shared the concerns with them on what's coming up and how bad the training was. We had statewide training today, but I left after an hour because it was a waste of time. It was horrible. The only thing you can do is be patient. It's going to take more time. Management knows about it...Making sure we get correct compensation.

MS: I talked with a R3 employee with worse issues. They had people who didn't get their mid-month OT checks due to coding issues. The message there is to stay tuned and make sure you have an accurate record of time outside TAMS so if there are issues we have a record from which to work to get them resolved.

CL: I sent the email from HR to the executive board.

EK: I haven't had a chance to read it. Should we send it to the entire board?

CL: I think it is to see the expectations. They don't want you to adjust it to make it work. They want you to put the time you come in and time you leave. if you are trying to adjust it, there is a worker's comp and if you come in at night but actually workdays, that creates complications. I checked in and there is no code for holidays.

MS: Payroll may not have run yet. My understanding from that email was the code won't show up until after payroll runs and verifies you are eligible for the holiday. You may not see that code until next week.

CL: I assume payroll has run at least once for me already and it should be there.

RH: I've been on TAMS for a year and it's not there for me either.

MS: The last payroll before the holiday will run and determine if you are eligible for the holiday. There are so many hours you have to work. payroll that runs directly in advance of the holiday.

CL: I see my holiday hours but don't see that Friday holiday hours.

EK: I would encourage everyone to send an email to Mary Rooper and cc the office if you have questions. It's not going to be smooth. There will be more questions.

SI Journals:

EK: We have been having issues getting articles the past year. I was brainstorming ideas on which way to go with this. We could do something different...Do we have ideas on how to make that easier for people? Or do away with it, do we see value in this for

our members? Ideas?

CL: The article takes time out of my day but it's a way to reach out to members. If you want to get rid of them there is opportunity on the new website to post information. Its more interactive.

KS: It would be easier if I was assigned a topic to write about.

EK: We have made some changes over the last 5 years. It used to be a bunch of people would write about the same thing until we started discussing topics together at our meetings. The journal has been great but the past two journals, Misty has had a tough time tracking down articles and get them out on time. I need people to take more time and make it a priority. If there is a topic you need assigned, I can work with you on it. We do a round table at the board meeting on topics. Maybe if they don't have a topic, maybe we decide to put some topics in a hat and pull one out. Those on the phone can you get one in by the end of the week?

LD: I should be able to get mine in.

PS: I thought I sent one in but I will try to send it.

RH: I will have it done by the end of the week.

EK: Does that work Misty?

MW: Yes.

EK: Great, thanks.

Region Updates

R5:

LH: I got good feedback from my newsletter. Luckily things are pretty quiet now in terms of anyone getting in trouble with management. We had a lot of people doing developmental and they moved back to their normal positions. They are going to shuffle us again to group the tech center disciplines together. If you are familiar with R5 HQ they have it all chopped up, so people are upset about having to move. We anticipate going onto TAMS Dec 1st. People are nervous about it. I'm signed up to do the training Thursday. Nothing much else is going on.

EK: I want to commend you on that newsletter and glad you sent it out. Great job working outside the box.

R3:

N/A

R4:

PS: I had 3 new people sign up last week and sent those in. I can't think of anything. I have one guy that needs to change his size on a jacket.

R1:

CL: There are a few cases going on at the construction office. I don't know, the east side, there is some issues they are going to do some counseling to make sure everyone stays happy. TAMS I mentioned. A lot of move in and out. Overall it's been good and people want access to the contract and when it's going to be printed.

EK: AEE got involved in the Troutdale office, there needed to be team building and we worked with HR and it's great to hear they are wanting to get members involved with

management.

R2:

MW: James went to an investigation, but I still need the follow up.

HQ:

KS: I haven't heard anything. Last NEO there weren't any AEE folks. Our building is now done moving cubicles around.

MW: I will contact them to confirm the next LM meeting because it's not on the calendar.

MS: I'm getting a lot of questions from members on holiday pay and how that will work. Maybe think about sending out notice to employees with the actual language and in addition to that, maybe we leave the tables out and print the contract and go because it's getting ridiculous.

EK: I will take that under consideration.

CL: CPS isn't in the current excel time sheet either, the code for holiday pay.

EK: I will get something together with Melissa. I will talk to Amber Bending on the timesheet and see what we can do on that.

Mill Creek:

RH: My two guys on probation after being certified was taken care of. the second guy I still need to confirm. I had an opportunity to talk to my HR liaison today. She shared a situation, one of my Mill Creek people was on work comp and was released by their doctor to full duty for work and they haven't showed up for work. They shared that there were cryptic weird emails not agreeing with the release to work. Their workstation was in Barlow, but K Falls works better for them and they wrote about having a trailer and being unable to use it. They are looking to dismiss them for not showing up. I'm going to try to find out if there is more to it and contact the member. It was nice to have the conversation up front and the preemptive conversation opposed to being blind-sided. That's it for Mill Creek.

EK: I'm glad to hear they are working with you on that.

RH: There is other stuff going on that I heard today, and it was more of an they haven't broken any policies yet. They hired employees and were told there is no money to train them. I keep getting told that it's their responsibility to provide the training. If they don't then we can do something. I don't know what more we need to hear to have a greater conversation. It's one of those things I will keep an eye on and see what happens.

EK: Thanks Ray.

ODF:

LD: Nothing going on. Praying for more rain. Retiree after 30 years they are working on filling his position.

NOA:

CL: PAC board event Dec 11 at 5:30 at the victory club in Salem, a Christmas event. We will talk about what the PAC does and optional white elephant. We will send out an email soon with that information.

EK: Thanks.

Comments:

LH: Do we know where we are with the new membership cards?

EK: I'm working with Haley on that right now I need to look at. We will try to get those out. I met with misty and Haley after the board meeting on how to get those out. We are going to try to get a fillable pdf and we should be able to roll those out the end of the year.

Adjourn @ 6:47pm